Wednesday, January 24, 2007

my unmanageable reading pile

Well I was getting things under control with the smallest bookpile (usually kept under the bedside table but also on my desk) I've had in at least 6 or 8 months:

-Proust, Swann's Way which is going so slowly though I get much pleasure from this

-Karsten Heuer's Being Caribou which is fascinating and compelling and I think makes T. want to run off to somewhere really remote

-Some silly book about financial planning (yes I'm getting a little concerned for the future)

-Poliakoff, Combat Sports in the Ancient World (meaning, in this case, Greeks and Romans)

-A book on Xingyiquan (asa way to get my head around solo training exercises for internal martial arts)

-Rushdie, The Satanic Verses (all the way up to page 11)

-Angela Carter, Burning Your Boats

-Tony May's Italian Cuisine

And that was about it once I finished Anthony Bourdain. Totally unmanageable but not the least bit intimidating.

Now though, after sending T. a list of books recommended by Bourdain at the end of Kitchen Confidential she brings me home

-Down and Out in Paris and London

- An American edition of Escoffier's Guide Culinaire

-
and Joseph Mitchell's Up in the Old Hotel

with more books coming shortly! I am not ungrateful in the least, I want to read all of these and I want to read them now, but things are now gettng out of hand, spinning out of control, taking on a life of their own.

And still, I can hardly wait 'til the rest arrive. Marco Pierre White (whom Bourdain characterises as one of the Young Turks and whom I am acquainted with through reading Bill Buford's Heat) pretty much tops the list. I'll have to spend a lot less time reading my friends blogs or otherwise doing "research" on the internet.

Speaking of, I fortuitously discovered the blog of a long lost friend and her new husband a few days ago and it is certainly the

website of the week!!!

Please pay a visit to endlessbanquet.blogspot.com to see why.


Hey, I'd love to hear what you all are reading.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey...I didnt't see "the politics of breastfeeding" on that list!

5:55 AM  
Blogger Billy Jack said...

Soon, soon, soon.

1:10 AM  
Blogger joe roivas said...

I've got a few books on the go right now, Bukowski-A Life by Neeli Cherkovski, which I'm enjoying. I got half way through Pretty Straight Guys by Nick Cohen, an investigation of the New Labour government of the 90's, when he began to sound like an apologist for the invasion of Iraq, after some research I discovered he was an 'interventionist' part of the 'Euston Manifesto'. Others by my bedside include Claribel Alegria- Flowers from the Volcano(poetry) and Singular Images: Essays on Remarkable Photographs.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Billy Jack said...

Joe,

I saw a book in the window of MacLeod's last night and thought of you: a volume of the collected poems of Cesar Vallejo. This was during the evening detailed in today's blog entry.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

on my bedside table:
-wolves and honey: a hidden history of the natural world by susan brind morrow
-pussy, king of the pirates by kathy acker
-endgame volume II: resistance by derrick jensen
-forms of devotion by diane schoemperlen
-my most secret desire by julie doucet
-the situationist anthology
- a tolstoy biography by henri troyat
-healing with whole foods
-a knitting book by sarah dallas
-good dogs, great owners by brian kilcommons

6:05 PM  
Blogger Billy Jack said...

There used to be a copy of Kathy Acker reading from PUSSY kicking around my world for several years. I always enjoyed listening to her read. So sad that she died.

There's a Julie Docuet pick onte return to library ple near my front door. Perhaps I should give it a look.

And WOLVES AND HONEY, I must say, sounds intriquing. Do tell me more about that if you get the chance.

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading something good.."The Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman...book 1 of "his dark materials" have you read any of those? and then on a more serious note...I also started "The Military Strategy of Women and Children" by butch lee. hmmm...I gotta say though, my beside table is a shared one and it includes,chess for kids,The End (Lemony Snicket),It's Perfectly Normal(a book on puberty),Franklin's Canoe Trip,and the Dungeon's and Dragons Player's Handbook.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Billy Jack said...

I don't know Philip Pullman's stuff. I just did a quick search on amazon though and probably everyone from the Harry Potter-ish circle of readers would know him. I am a little out of the loop.

Butch Lee of course is near classic now amongst the theoretically inclined sector of contemporary anarchists.

Speaking of anarchists I found out that Black Diamond makes a backcountry pack called the Anarchist which happily comes in black (now who would get the khaki version?).

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/anarchist_with_avalung.php

I thnk that Franklin's CAnoe Triop would be my choice off your bedside table for tonight.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home