Tuesday, September 19, 2006

survival

I gave up the anti-authoritarian agitational life several years ago. Most of my friends (old comrades) have more-or-less done the same. Maybe a little less so than me. I, and my old friends, generally hold the same values as in the old days of confrontation. Having moved to a new city (though with lots of friends and acquantances from the trouble-making days) I find myself repeatedly characterizing myself in conversations as a "survivalist." One person told me that I ought to move out to the woods but they misconstrued me I think.

What do I mean by survivalist? Well, I don't really know but...

a) I have had a many year (lifelong pretty much) obsession with martial arts
b) I am firmly committed to outstanding fitness, physical and mental
c) I find the world to be an increasingly hostile place
d) I am firmly old school whether we are talking martial arts, philosophy, literature, medicine and much else
e) and yes I am still definitively anti-rightwing and socially very modern and liberation oriented despite the seeming conservatism representing in points a-d. A conservative radical? That might be it you know. But not a radical conservative.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well this girl still calls herself an "anti-authoritarian"

5:15 AM  
Blogger Billy Jack said...

Excellent. As do I. I'm just not fighting it out with authority these days. I hope that you are.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al,
Thanks for the Murakami quotes ... I'm a little slow in getting to them (and a post late) but the more I see about the guy, the more I like him. Just picked up Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman - in paperback everywhere in Europe. Pleased to see he's so popular over here. When are you coming to the Island?

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home