Saturday, June 24, 2006

My own comeback

I am straining for a little comeback of my own after a year long injury layoff and a year and a half without racing.

At the end of April I ran the Times-Colonist 10k in Victoria with little training and a very tight IT band and managed an unimpressive but not horrible 38:09. AT least I ran intelligently, having really paced myself well in the opening kilometres.

This was the result I needed in a way to launch me into more earnest training. I began what will be a long preparatory phase (which still continues) of easy to moderate effort building up the weekly mileage and running frequently with my friend David (who is preparing for a 1:20 half-marathon in October). Last weekend I ran a very hilly mostly trail "8k" at Royal Roads and placed 5th overall, 2nd in my age division (30-39) with an unoffical time 0f 31:27, not bad considering the challenging layout of the course.

I would like to start laying out some of my training later.

My goal for the year is to run a 36:00 10k and its equivalent at the shorter distances. I am much more drawn to 5k and even shorter races these days and will focus there this year, knowing that 10k fitness will also benefit. The major thing is to learn to really listen to my body and such and tho work on mental clarity and strength. I have a fairly good grasp of the physiological end of things. Long tern goal at this time (more like the dream I guess) is a 32:00 10k (or equivalents) when I become a master at 40.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home