Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ice Skating Tonight

I just got back from ice-skating tonight. My friend Andrea is taking lessons (she started last night) and we dragged Ann-Marie with us.

As an idea it seemed great but as we neared the arena I could feel the tension building. I am hardly a proto-typical Canadian guy as I have been skating only about 5 times and I do well not to split my head open or break my finger on the ice.

What's with the tension though? While on the ice I had some kind of childhood memory of dragging myself along the ice of the Bow River, crying or whining and hating every minute of skating. I guess this kind of thing stays with us, and it was a challenge to relax and to stay that way.

I didn't fall at all, and walking home I felt a little bit proud of myself, while remembering the Eleanor Roosevelt bumper sticker that I saw this summer: "Do something that you're afraid of everyday."

A rather small victory over fear, but my only one of the day.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Canandian who can't skate! Crazy. Because so many French-Canadians settled in my part of the U.S., I played hockey when I was a kid. You know, back when it still got cold.

12:37 PM  
Blogger joe roivas said...

I had my first swimming lesson last thursday, and you know what a big fear that is for me, I also felt that sense of pride on the walk home.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Billy Jack said...

Joe,

That is great. I know how you feel about that water thing. Congratulations.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice to see someone crossing througth barriers and stepping over the line, facing up to their fears and coming to terms with the ties that hold us back, have you done any meditation recently!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Billy Jack said...

Anon,

Mmmmm, not so much. A little but I often fall short on this. I often attempt to integrate meditation techniques into my daily life, f.e. walking to and from work. Little classic "sitting" though.

Take care.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home