Monday, July 02, 2007

Hi,

Last week, on a weekday around noon, I was home with my baby daughter. I had called in sick to work and my partner was off renewing her auto insurance.

We live in a small housing co-op with 5 units, all connected and we share a backyard.

I was in the backyard with my baby trying to calm her crying and I saw two "sharks" prowling along the alley (I live in a friendly but very high crime neighbourhood with an extreme number of addicts living within a 40 minute radius).

I went into my house and saw them walk by the sidewalk adjacent to the front window, obviously peering in through the window. Then they were gone.

About 5 minutes later I was in the bedroom trying to calm my crying baby when through the window, about 6 feet away I saw one of the sharks at my neighbour's back door.

Adrenaline goes into overdrive here. I am alone with my baby, that's the first thought. Second is to protect our neighbour's home.

I put the baby in the stroller, and she's still crying like crazy. The BG doesn't seem to be paying attention to the noise she's making. Then I call my other neighbour on the cell, thinking she'll come around the other side of the house, into my apartment, so I can deal with the situation.

As I am talking to here on the cell I realize that she has gone out into the backyard (where the BG is) by herself. She is also totally untrained though gutsy! So, another priority, protect her!
When I realize this I have to make a quick weapon decision, and I grab my folder (I do not live in a gun friendly place). I open the back door and see her close to the two BGs and they are all lose to the back fence. She is arguing with them, telling them to leave.

I yell from the back porch (about 40 feet away from the BGs):
"Leave NOW. Leave RIGHT NOW or I'll CUT YOU UP" (brandishing my knife).
As they start to leave I yell :"I'm calling 911 RIGHT NOW" and I do so.

Anyways, they take off down the alley and into someone's backyard. I don't think anymore came of it that day.

I know that there are things that I probably did well and at least one big mistake.

Big one: I should have picked a blunt weapon instead of a blade. Adrenaline and pre-conditioned thinking probably effected my decision in this way. (And I simply had no idea what kind of trouble my neighbour was in at that point. A blunt object threat would have simply been easier and less legally dodgy to carry to carry out my threat with.

Be safe.
__________________

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home